I got my pancreas (and kidney) almost 4 years ago. Everything has been fine, except that occasionally I have low blood sugars. (The first time this happened, I was still in the stage of wanting to make sure my insulin pump was still attached; I checked my blood sugar, it was 60, and I immediately reached for my pump to put it in suspend). Well, you can't do that after a transplant, in case no one knew.

Occasionally, my blood sugar drops because I do stupid things like eat 3 cookies at 9 am for breakfast, then don't eat again til 2:30 (I quit doing that).

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else had lows sometimes. Drs. say nothing is wrong w/ it.

Views: 53

Replies to This Discussion

I had the same issue. I would test my blood because I felt low and I would be in the 50s. I asked my PA and he said there was nothing wrong, just to go and eat something.

We know for sure your panc is working :D
I think there is just a lot they don't know about the mysterious Pancreas Transplant.
I have not had my transplant yet but I did not know you still had to wear your pump. How long do you have to do that? What about checking your blood sugar?
Sorry for any confusion - I DON'T have to wear the pump. I was making a joke that I was so used to wearing a pump that when it felt like my blood sugar was dropping, I automatically reached for it to put it in "suspend" mode. I do not have to check my blood sugar either (bye bye, expensive little strips).

Of course everyone's transplant experience is different, but mine was perfect as far as no longer needing any treatment for diabetes.

FYI, you can give unopened & unexpired test strips etc to a free clinic, and get a tax receipt. A transplant and a tax deduction - that's a great deal!
You can't suspend after a transplant???? Not suppose to suspend anyway right? Low dose? Sometimes I had lows after my pancrease only, I no longer take any insulin. I contributed to my di et. (cookies, lol) Since my sugars were so much better post op and I had been eating a low carb diet my BG would go low. It has been a year and half now, things are much better and I think it is all because of what I eat. Curious what your sugars are running. Good luck Lisa
I have had my pancreas and kidney for 3 1/2 years, and just recently have had feelings of low blood sugars too...I have let my test strip rx run out :O so I don't know where my bg is at. I have a rebellious streak in me, and enjoy having only coffee until early afternoon, while at work.

Can we talk about this some more? I hope you are doing really well, Allison-drop me a line when you are in the Cafe sometime.

Hugs,

Cathy Kane,
Sacramento CA
Hi,, I have had my pancreas- after kidney for 8 1/2 years. Off insulin. I do get lows occasionally, seems to be the day after alot of extra activity or exercise esp. Also, I eat pretty much whatever I want and I sometimes drop right after I eat,, guess maybe I am making that organ work a little too hard. My issue since pancreas tx has been dropping blood pressure. It can run so low that I can hardly get through the day. Use to use midodrine. Don't like to as it makes bp then go too high. Stress has always put unusual fluctuations in my sugars. I did not have the problem with blood pressure drops with kidney transplant, only pancreas. Mine is bladder attached vs. bowel attached. Not sure if that matters. anyone else experience blood pressure issues with pancreas tx? It is truly an amazing thing to be off insulin completely and have normal blood sugars. Can't take it for granted.. Far cry from dialysis and insulin pump,, amazing,,

RSS

Members

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Bobbiejo Winfrey commented on Gary Toulouse's blog post Today April 16th
"Congratulations on reaching your fourth year anniversary! I am so glad that you have been blessed with this wonderful gift. May you only have many, many more reasons to celebrate in the future! "
10 hours ago
Joy Youster is now a member of TransplantCafe.com - The Gift of eLife!
15 hours ago
Gary Toulouse posted a blog post

Today April 16th

Today at 0700, 4 years ago I received the gift of Life.  It would be mid day tomorrow that I would awake and learn that I was breathing on my own.  Inside my chest, two pure young lungs were becoming apart of me and my days ahead.  No longer hooked to a machine to keep me breathing I would soon be standing on my own.  Inside of me I could feel Tammy joining my life energy and I could feel her love.  To everyone have a great day and stay safe.  I still have much to think about.See More
18 hours ago
Robert Keith Surridge left a comment for Terry (Tariq)
"You will have to excuse me until I get use to the web site. I really don't have any side effects from the anti rejection drugs, so I guess I am pretty lucky."
yesterday
Terry (Tariq) left a comment for Robert Keith Surridge
"Hi Robert Welcome in café, nice to see you are doing excellent and enjoying life. Since 2009 how do you accept side effects of med, is their any issue with Prograf ; tecta. I am on single immune suppressant, prior to this was on…"
yesterday
Robert Keith Surridge posted a status
"Enjoy everyday, live life,love life, keep moving don't sit around and feel sorry for yourself. Life goes on with or without you."
yesterday
"I down loaded some photos to help show people and to help understand that life goes on after a transplant,"
yesterday
Robert Keith Surridge posted photos
yesterday
"It is April 15th and woke up this morning to snow covering the ground. this is the winter that just keeps on giving."
yesterday
Robert Keith Surridge updated their profile
yesterday
Bobbiejo Winfrey commented on Matthew J Litkie's photo
Thumbnail

DSC_1271

"How darling! Thank you for sharing such a sweet picture. She must bring you much joy. I wish you both the best."
yesterday
Robert Keith Surridge posted photos
Tuesday
Robert Keith Surridge left a comment for Phil Keyes
"I had a liver transplant in 2009 I ended up in the hospital for a week and was diagnosed with a blood clot in my liver. They tried a procedure by putting in a shunt to get blood flow, that procedure failed and I needed a liver transplant in order to…"
Tuesday
Profile IconRobert Keith Surridge and elizabeth walden joined TransplantCafe.com - The Gift of eLife!
Monday
Caring 4 Carrie posted a blog post

Kidney News: Will Eveyrone Help Us Fundraise?

Our Caring 4 Carrie Walk Team, will be walking on Saturday, May 31st, at Turner Field, Atlanta, GA. We've raised over $1,200!Please consider to order our official Caring 4 Carrie t-shirts. All our proceeds will be donated to the National Kidney Foundation. Our website is: www.booster.com/caring4carrieSee More
Monday
Caring 4 Carrie posted a status
"Someone's Story: This is toddler Joshua. He's needing a kidney. Please visit his FB Page: http://j.mp/Rh6Hhp"
Monday

quick links!

follow transplant cafe:

Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to TransplantCafe

Meet Members by Transplant Type

Heart Kidney
Liver Single Lung
Double Lung Pancreas
Intestinal Bone Marrow
Tissue Kidney / Pancreas
Other Transplant

Badge