Im new to this forum and Im sure this question has been asked before but here goes ...

What do your transplant programs advise about tattoos after transplant and how many people have had them done?

My son has had 2 liver transplants and is currently doing very well. At 17 its a hot topic.

He has already had his ears pierced with no trouble.

Your comments and experiences are appreciated.

Thanks ...

Views: 4674

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My fiance has worked with HIV positive patients for years. She has had many clients who after infection have gone on to get tattoos. As long as you disclose any infectious diseases (Hep C, HIV) there is no reason why you would be turned away. Any reputable tattoo parlor has steralized, sealed needles and equipment, autoclave and certificate from the Board of Health. If you follow all instructions for follow up care there should be no cause for infection or complications from the tattoo.

I am thinking about getting my daughters footprints and birthday tattooed on my chest.
I already have 5 tattoos, I always wanted more but the dialysis staff said I should wait until after transplantation. I'm heading into my 9mo post transplant and have asked my team the same question. They said it'll be fine. I want alot more. I plan on going to the same artist who did the others.

When I appoarched my doctor I told him that if he didn't think it was a good idea, I'd leave it alone. On my 1st year's anniversary, I'll be getting a new tat.
Hi,

From a personal point of view I would not have a tattoo due to the risks involved with certain skin disorders and skin cancers, linked to the immunosuppression. I have always been advised against tattoos due to this reason and I have now been on immunosuppression for 23 years.

However, times have changed and the types of meds have changed a lot since my heart transplant so that is not to say that another person may have been told differently. I would suggest discussing this issue with your GP or Cardiologist as they are better qualified to say what complications, if any, could arise from having a tattoo.

I hope your son continues to do well...

Best Wishes to all,

Paul
I had my liver transplant in 2005 and already had a tattoo and belly button piercing. My doctors told me not to get anymore but I constantly asked them every time I had clinic. Finally I was told I could get pierced as long as it was not through cartilage, and I could get tattooed as long as I went to a shop that I knew was clean and sterile. So I now have 3 tattoos and 4 piercings (not including ears). I was glad I got the "green light". I love tattoos and I also wanted to get one to commemorate my transplant. Ha ha the only issue I have now is when I go for my MRIs and have to take out all my jewelery :)
My hubby (liver transplant 21 years ago) was told "absolutely not" about getting a tattoo. Because he's covered by the VA & they have the power to stop covering him for any disobedience, he's decided to not get the tat. I get them instead! :0) Maybe someday they'll change their minds....
Hi..I am also very interested in this topic. I am from the UK and had double lung transplant 3 years ago. Luckily, I already had 2 tattoos way before I became ill.

I have asked my doctor - and he has always said no - risk of infection from needles - and poss contracting the infection, would could get worse as we all have weak immune systems.

However, I have also read/seen quite a few people - who after transplant - DO have them - and all IS fine!! Definitely to do with hygiene and needles......maybe speak to an actual tattooist aswell - as Im sure they are used to this.

My tattoos were done at 25 and then at 28...maybe as your son is 17....I understand something he would like to do.

See what other people say too. I really want another one (symbolic of my journey) - but if the risk is higher than the outcome, I dont want to tempt life - when I have been given a gift that saved me. If you know what I mean.

Keep me posted please - will send request to add you - thanks xx
Hi. My names Rachel and I am currently 18 and wanting my own tattoo. My mom is fighting me very hard on this decision because of the risk factors. I understand that they are large if something does happen but I look at it like this. I have never been one to let my transplant control my life. Even piercing, I was a month out and had been begging my dad to let me get my ears pierced for years. The team told me they would do them in a follow-up cath. I got my second holes a year ago. I think letting your son get the tattoo is a step in allowing him to be responsible for himself and the decisions he will have to make in being a transplant. I would suggest making sure there is a definite meaning behind the tattoo he wants to get, and not just because his friends have them.
Hi, my name is Bob and I joined five minutes go. I was Googling for info on tattoos, as I had a heart/kidney transplant in February of 2010. When and if I am contacted by my donor family, I intend to get a small tattoo honoring my donor. I have not questioned my transplant team about this as yet, but our kids are stoked. They both have a ginkgo leaf tattoo in honor of their late grandmother.
Hi Im a heart transplate patient and I had got my heart in february. I was wondering if I could get a tattoo now
I would ask your Cardiologist. I got one on my ankle many years after my transplant.

I got my tattoo a year and one month post transplant and get one every once in a while and now I have 7 and getting my 8th tomorrow 

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Suzanne Giacherio posted a discussion

Painful mouth tissues - not just thrush this time

Hello All! I am Suzanne and am medically "well" since the liver transplant in February 2010. I so can relate to the majority of everyone's issues post transplant and most likely medication related side effects. Lately my biggest problem has been my sore mouth tissue - as my dentist call it "dry tissue". This is the absolute worst it has ever been! I have the liquid Nystatin for the thrush but it seems to not be helping at all. Started using coconut oil (since the pulled all my teeth pre-transplant I don't think I can legitimately call it "pulling"). It helps to coat the tissues for awhile, but it is limited.  Today I picked up some raw honey from the local Farmers' Market and will be trying it out shortly. Anyone else relate to this problem?  I know I don't visit this site often, haven't been here since last year. I seem to show up in desperation to tell the truth because no one else gets us, you know what I mean? My husband is comforting as he can be, but it's not what I am looking…See More
26 minutes ago
Lili Feldman commented on Lili Feldman's group The Funny Bone
"Bravo David x2. Thx!"
yesterday
David Goodman commented on Lili Feldman's group The Funny Bone
"Jim decided to tie the knot with his long time girlfriend.  One evening, after the honeymoon, he was cleaning his golf shoes.  His wife was standing there watching him.  After a long period of silence she finally speaks. "Honey,…"
yesterday
"A man brings his best mate home for dinner unannounced at 5.30 p.m. after work.   His wife screams at him as his friend listens in, "My hair & makeup are not done, the house is a mess, the dishes are not done, I'm still in my…"
yesterday
Patricio Villar is now a member of TransplantCafe.com - The Gift of eLife!
yesterday
Caring 4 Carrie posted a blog post

Does 'Race' Matter For Organ Donation- Should This Be A Factor?

According to How Stuff Works, minorities are extremely encouraged to register to become an organ donor. Meaning, organs are matched by factors, including blood and tissue typing, which can vary by race. However, patients are more likely to find matches among donors of their same race or ethnicity.See More
Monday
Caring 4 Carrie posted a status
"Someone's Story: This Tiraj.She's on dialysis & needs a kidney transplant. Please visit her page. Thanks. http://j.mp/1oTjX4g"
Monday
Peter james goodman commented on Peter james goodman's blog post 5th Annivasary
"You we the first to greet me five years ago when joined the when I joined this wonderful group.  Many hugs back to you kiddo.  God bless you my little angel.  hugs Pete~"
Saturday
"As men  age, we start seeing more and more of the medical world and its employees.  Nowadays the medical profession seems to have more and more women as our  Physicians and Therapists, etc., and in this case a new Urologist for…"
Saturday
"MURPHY'S OTHER 15 LAWS   1. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. 2. A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well. 3. He who laughs last, thinks slowest. 4. A…"
Saturday
"There was a boy who worked in the produce section of the market. A man came in and asked to buy half a head of lettuce. The boy told him that they only sold whole heads of lettuce, but the man replied that he did not need a whole head, but only a…"
Saturday
Bobbiejo Winfrey commented on Peter james goodman's blog post 5th Annivasary
"Congratulations on reaching your five year transplant anniversary! I wish you many new celebrations and new hopes as you continue your journey onward. I too am glad for the family that I have here. It's good to know that we can be here for each…"
Saturday
Peter james goodman posted a blog post

5th Annivasary

Hello Tx Family!!!!DON'T HAVE A FAMILY ---TO SHARE MY NEWS...  WELL, IT HAS BEEN 5 YEARS AGO TODAY SINCE MY GIFT OF LIFE.  AS YOU KNOW MY SUSIE HAS BEEN GONE FOR 2 YEARS NOW--7-31-12..She was the only family I had other then all of you. It has been a struggle for all of us but I am convinced God still needs me here.  Love and pray for all of us.  Peace and good journey.  Love Pete~See More
Friday
"Welcome to our group Stu L ! You will find laughter and nice people. Please feel free to share your favourite funnies. You will find that the TransplantCafe has a lot to offer. Lili Feldman"
Friday
Stu L joined Lili Feldman's group
Thumbnail

The Funny Bone

Please post jokes, funny stories, and anything humorous. It is healthy for our minds, bodies, and spirits. Very healing. So let's get those endorphins swimming around, and keep it clean.See More
Friday
"Terrific David! Thx"
Friday

quick links!

follow transplant cafe:

Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to TransplantCafe

Meet Members by Transplant Type

Heart Kidney
Liver Single Lung
Double Lung Pancreas
Intestinal Bone Marrow