I received the call on Feb 14, 1997.  Was transplanted the following day.  On one mg prograf twice a day.  I remember the call I received while visiting friends where I use to work.  I had gone to say good bye because I was starting to see the signs that I had been told about.  During that week urine had been turning almost black so I knew I was on the slide to end stage.  I was there when I got the call and used the phone to call in the center.  The words I heard still echo in my mind, "get your yellow fanny up here, we believe we have a liver for you"  Still get tears in my eyes when I think about.

Thanks to my donor family, the Reeves from Round Rock TX.  He was a preacher, had a stroke, at first they thought he would be ok following rehab but later that afternoon he had another major attack and his wife was asked if she would share.  She did and I am here. 

I met the family 6 months to the day of my transplant.  We shared, I saw pictures of him, He was 41 years old, married his high school sweetheart, left 2 kids a girl 21 and and son 18.  I always think of them around this time.

I remember a TV reporter asking the mother, "how does it feel, sitting next to the man that has your husbands liver?"  Her answer was great, she said," It is not my husbands liver, it is Lee's to live with as he wishes."

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lee,

CONGRATS  on yet  another  successful  anniversary.   Keep them  coming! 

Congratulations! I am sorry that this is a little late, but I have been having troubles with this site for some reason. 15 years is a wonderful number to celebrate, and I hope you have many more anniversaries to look forward to in the future. It's unique to have gotten your gift on Valentine's Day, a reminder of how much love it took for your gift to come together, I suppose. I am glad as well that you got to meet your donor family.May they be continuously blessed by their act. Many hugs and best of wishes to you.

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Lili Feldman commented on Lili Feldman's group The Funny Bone
"I'll keep that in mind. Thanks David"
10 hours ago
David Goodman commented on Lili Feldman's group The Funny Bone
" Old Butch    Fred was in the fertilized egg business. He had several hundred young pullets,' and ten roosters to fertilize the eggs.   He kept records, and any rooster not performing went into the soup pot and was…"
14 hours ago
Margaret Kelly replied to Margaret Kelly's discussion Problems with pain in chest and weak bones
"Hi I'm also suffering from depression at the moment as well, Went to Doctors last week for blood tests and it has came back with a high eosinophil count of over 0.9 (recetionist wouldn't tell me the exact count) After 'googling'…"
yesterday
Caring 4 Carrie posted a blog post

Is Kidney Cancer Becoming More Common? It's true.

According to Kidney Doctor, the rise is kidney cancer may have a strong correlation to the modern way of living. Meaning, alcohol drinking, being weight challenged, eating lots of red meat and smoking are habits which increase your risks of developing cancer. Nugget: Healthier lifestyle=Prevention.See More
yesterday
Caring 4 Carrie posted a status
"Someone's Story: This is Mitch and he's seeking a kidney donor. Kindly visit his FB page to learn more. Thanks. http://j.mp/1Fot88P"
yesterday
Robert Keith Surridge posted a status
"Get out and enjoy the things that make life worth living. Be active, don't sit around and feel sorry for yourself, thats to easy."
Sunday
Robert Keith Surridge posted a status
"Hi I do not go on the Transplant Cafe very often, but today my message to all transplant patients is to live strong and enjoy life."
Sunday
HDHONEY left a comment for Robert Keith Surridge
"Robert  wow. u sound like u have a crazy story like mine, I ended up in hospital for 4 months. Cancer of liver cirohises,hep.c.  I am only taking.   Prograf. My Dr. has me on magnesium for leg cramps.   I get…"
Sunday
HDHONEY replied to Stefan's discussion Hello, I am new here
"Hey no worries it is a  scarey thing.  Hang in there make sure everyone washes hands a lot. Keep her away from people till she's feeling good. We will be praying for ur family.  I hope all is well. God bless you both"
Sunday
HDHONEY left a comment for Linda J Vaughan
"Hi Linda, I read your story I am happy for u. I also had a liver transplant. Its been little over 2 yrs. For me. I would love to talk."
Sunday
HDHONEY left a comment for Brad shwidock
"hi  Brad I was reading ur story about ur liver transplant, how r u doing at this time?   I had a transplant little over 2 years I'm doing well. I feel sick a lot, some. Pain but  better than life before. Would like to talk…"
Sunday
HDHONEY replied to Margaret Kelly's discussion Problems with pain in chest and weak bones
"Hi I also have pain after 2 and a half yrs. Out from liver transplant. Don't know what it is. I have some depression. I've gained a lot of weight back  darn it.  Not sure what to do."
Sunday
HDHONEY posted a status
"Hi I am a liver transplant patient looking for someone to talk to. My name is tami"
Sunday
Irene Paugh is now a member of TransplantCafe.com - The Gift of eLife!
Saturday
Ali Barton left a comment for Irena Bucci
"Hi irena! Thanks for your sweet comment! I just got back home to Boston on Saturday! Feeling great :-) talk to you soon!"
Saturday
Ali Barton is now friends with Irena Bucci and Wendy
Saturday

quick links!

follow transplant cafe:

Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to TransplantCafe

Meet Members by Transplant Type

Heart Kidney
Liver Single Lung
Double Lung Pancreas
Intestinal Bone Marrow
Tissue Kidney / Pancreas