I received the call on Feb 14, 1997.  Was transplanted the following day.  On one mg prograf twice a day.  I remember the call I received while visiting friends where I use to work.  I had gone to say good bye because I was starting to see the signs that I had been told about.  During that week urine had been turning almost black so I knew I was on the slide to end stage.  I was there when I got the call and used the phone to call in the center.  The words I heard still echo in my mind, "get your yellow fanny up here, we believe we have a liver for you"  Still get tears in my eyes when I think about.

Thanks to my donor family, the Reeves from Round Rock TX.  He was a preacher, had a stroke, at first they thought he would be ok following rehab but later that afternoon he had another major attack and his wife was asked if she would share.  She did and I am here. 

I met the family 6 months to the day of my transplant.  We shared, I saw pictures of him, He was 41 years old, married his high school sweetheart, left 2 kids a girl 21 and and son 18.  I always think of them around this time.

I remember a TV reporter asking the mother, "how does it feel, sitting next to the man that has your husbands liver?"  Her answer was great, she said," It is not my husbands liver, it is Lee's to live with as he wishes."

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lee,

CONGRATS  on yet  another  successful  anniversary.   Keep them  coming! 

Congratulations! I am sorry that this is a little late, but I have been having troubles with this site for some reason. 15 years is a wonderful number to celebrate, and I hope you have many more anniversaries to look forward to in the future. It's unique to have gotten your gift on Valentine's Day, a reminder of how much love it took for your gift to come together, I suppose. I am glad as well that you got to meet your donor family.May they be continuously blessed by their act. Many hugs and best of wishes to you.

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Ralph N. Johnson shared a profile on Facebook
Friday
Ralph N. Johnson left a comment for Dr Suresh Raghavaiah
"Dr.Suresh,Good morning.My is Ralph N Johnson. My gift of life came on 7-12-14 liver transplant at the Univ of Penn hospital Phila. In August I contracted(GVHD) from the liver transplant.August/September was spent fighting for my life.My Dr. told…"
Friday
Ralph N. Johnson posted a blog post

graft vs host from a liver transplant

Hello, my name is Ralph N Johnson I just join this wonderful group of concern,loving,family and friends. My gift to life was on 7-12-14 liver transplant at Univ of Penn hospital Phila. In August I contacted (GVHD) from the liver transplant.August & September was spent fighting daily for my very life. Currently undetectable, My Dr. told me that I would be lucky to find as many people that it takes to play a hand of bridge that survived this disease. Can anyone point me in the direction to find the other three. Thank you.. See More
Thursday
Clare mcgee commented on Matthew J Litkie's blog post No More Myfortic (Cellciept) March 30 2015
"Mathew I may be slow on the uptake But do they know which one of your meds are the biggest culprit to your skin situation?? I truly hope they can help prevent further episodes. It is strange to think that the derms seem it just poss to stop our…"
Thursday
Ralph N. Johnson left a comment for Rosa Jones
"Hi,Rosa...my name Ralph N. Johnson 7-12-14 i received the gift of life liver transplant. In August I contracted(GVHD) from a liver transplant...my Dr. told me I would be lucky..to find as many people as it takes to play a hand of bridge..can you…"
Thursday
Ralph N. Johnson left a comment for Donna Cryer
"Donna, hello..my name is Ralph N Johnson 7-12-14 was my gift of  life. Liver transplant. I contracted (GVHD) graft vs host decease from a liver transplant. I was told by my Doctor..I would be lucky if I find as many people that it takes to play…"
Thursday
David Goodman commented on Lili Feldman's group The Funny Bone
"An attractive lady and an old man are sitting next to eachother on a bus. The following conversation takes place....   Lady: "Can you help me get something off my breastsplease?"   Old man: "Yeah sure, it would be my…"
Thursday
Yasmine Yala left a comment for TransplantCafe.com
"Thank you :)"
Wednesday
Profile IconYonas Mebrahtu and John G. Gould joined TransplantCafe.com - The Gift of eLife!
Wednesday
Ralph N. Johnson left a comment for Kim Burdakin
"Morning, Kim..How r u ? My name is Ralph N. Johnson..briefly..on 7-12-14 liver transplan. August, Semptember contracted graft vs host from the transplant. I was told I would be lucky to find as many people that it takes to play a hand of bridge that…"
Tuesday
Ralph N. Johnson shared their discussion on Facebook
Tuesday
Ralph N. Johnson posted a discussion

Graft vs Host From Liver Transplant

Hello, can anyone point me the direction, involving graft vs host after a liver transplant. Does anyone know of or heard of an individual that survived other than myself.Thank you.See More
Tuesday
Ralph N. Johnson posted a status
"Liver Transplant: 7-12-14"
Tuesday
Ralph N. Johnson left a comment for Ralph N. Johnson
"Hello, I'm thankful to join the family. Great support resource; along with concern,caring members and family. I survived graft vs host(GVHD) from a liver transplant. My Doctors at Univ. Of Penn Phila..stated to me that..I may be lucky if I find…"
Tuesday
TransplantCafe.com left a comment for Ralph N. Johnson
"Welcome to Transplant Cafe Ralph. Enjoy the site!"
Apr 13
TransplantCafe.com left a comment for Yasmine Yala
"Welcome to Transplant Cafe Yasmine. Enjoy the site! :)"
Apr 13

quick links!

follow transplant cafe:

Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to TransplantCafe

Meet Members by Transplant Type

Heart Kidney