Anyone have problems with low white blood cell counts post-transplant (heart)?

I know this is a strange question, given the fact that we are all on immunosupression drugs. I almost 10 months out from my transplant surgery and since March I have been having trouble maintaining a white blood cell count that my doctor was confortable with. At one point I even had what was essentially zero white blood cells but it has bounced around since then. I was taken off of Cellcept, and it was replaced with Arava, and my prograf has steadily been lowered (2mg twice a day now). But I'm still having trouble. Just yesterday, my doctor discontinued my Valcyte prematurely and halved the Arava dosage because my wbc was still creeping down.

Has anyone else had this problem? Was a reason discovered? What was the course of action? I trust my doctor, and he isn't too worried, but continues to try and fix it. Any insights?

Thanks
Michael

Tags: blood, cell, count, white

Views: 4154

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Michael,

I had quite a few problems with a low white blood cell count. I think I was about 3 or 4 months post transplant (kidney pancreas) they took me off antibiotics that I was on, eventually took me off of Cellcept (I was only taking Prograf for quite some time I think about a year), and eventually they gave me injections of Neupogen to bring up the WBC levels. Still with all that I had some troubles. I did however end up with CMV my donor was positive and I was negative. CMV can lower the white count and also the Valcyte you have to take to treat it lowers the count as well. It eventually straightened itself out, but it is just baretly at or above 4 now and I am 2 years post transplant. They just put me back on Bactrim 3 times a week so we will see how that goes. I'm not sure of any other ways they treat this condition and of course you have a heart transplant so I am sure there must be differences there as well. I know at one time my white count was coming up, looking pretty good so they did some kind of blood test and further broke down the white count they kept giving me Neupogen even though my count was acceptable to bring up some value that I don't know the name of. Had something to do with the bodies production of white blood cells. Okay not sure if I have helped any or not! I certainly hope they get it all figured out I know how frustrating that can be!

:-)Heather
Michael, it's not a strange question :) My white blood count dropped really low too! The doctors found out if was from cellcept, so they took me off that and switched me to rapamune. I took a little while for it to get back up there though. That was the case for me, but as you know everyone's body is different. Also, since your only 10 months out, it could be your bodies reaction to all the new meds they are stopping/starting...? Hope your wbc starts rising soon...take care.
I am currently having problems with my white blood cell being too low. I feel like crap from all the neupogen shots. :( I am in extreme pain.
I too was taken off of Cellcept, and remain off of it - it was replaced by Imuran. Funny enough, I've remained relatively low since then. Last week my doctor actually mentioned that patients with consistently low WBC tend to do well with their transplant.

I hope you feel better soon Sarah. Hopefully those shot will end for you soon.
yeah they took me off cell cept too, but didn't replace it with anything. and i'm on 2mg of prograf twice a day. you ever hear of that girl from austrailia....her white blood cells were low, she got sick, and her blood type switched to the donors blood type. That's insane.

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

David Goodman commented on Lili Feldman's group The Funny Bone
"Or, you could wash your hair in the sink..."
17 hours ago
Dorothy Okoth is now a member of TransplantCafe.com - The Gift of eLife!
Monday
Caring 4 Carrie posted a blog post

What Can You Eat If You Have Diabetes?

According to WebMD, if you're Diabetic, the goal is to monitor your carbs daily. A person with Diabetes can have snacks if their blood sugar gets low between meals. Also, desserts can be eaten but save for special occasions and have a scoop or thin slice. Sweet tooth? -consider having a piece of fruitSee More
Monday
Caring 4 Carrie posted a status
"Someone's Story: This is baby Derek. He's on dialysis & parents are seeking a living donor. Please visit FB page: http://j.mp/1tuQCn6"
Monday
Lili Feldman commented on Lili Feldman's group The Funny Bone
"Finally! Some advice You can actually use! DO NOT wash your hair in the shower! It's so good to finally get a health warning that is useful! IT INVOLVES THE SHAMPOO WHEN IT RUNS DOWN YOUR BODY WHEN YOU SHOWER WITH IT. WARNING TO US ALL! (I…"
Sunday
Leanne Dodd-Mathis left a comment for Leanne Dodd-Mathis
"I put a picture of the invasive Air Potato Plant as my current passion/addiction is removing it from my condo community. I'll add more info and a picture soon."
Saturday
Leanne Dodd-Mathis is now a member of TransplantCafe.com - The Gift of eLife!
Friday
Dawn Chick replied to Suzanne Giacherio's discussion Painful mouth tissues - not just thrush this time
"Also try artificial saliva to moisten. You can get it over the counter and use it as often as you need to lubricate the tissue in your mouth. "
Thursday
Rose Soros commented on Caitlin Touchet's video
Thumbnail

southwest video

"Never had a welcome like this. we need to send this to all the US airlines as an example. Love it."
Thursday
Rose Soros liked Caitlin Touchet's video
Thursday
Rose Soros liked steve sullivan's blog post Life is short play HARD!
Thursday
Kelly Jones shared a profile on Facebook
Aug 21
Suzanne Giacherio commented on Peter james goodman's blog post 5th Annivasary
"How wonderful to celebrate 5 years of a new life! My 5th will occur in 2/15 so not too far behind you. You made me realize how grateful I am to have both my husband and my adult daughter in my life today. The Transplant Cafe is an awesome forum and…"
Aug 21
Suzanne Giacherio replied to Suzanne Giacherio's discussion Painful mouth tissues - not just thrush this time
"Thank you for taking the time and interest by replying to my post/dilemma! Yes, salt water rinses may help. I will add some in today along with all the other stuff I am trying to help me reduce my discomfort and get past this. I have had issues with…"
Aug 21
Suzanne Giacherio replied to Suzanne Giacherio's discussion Painful mouth tissues - not just thrush this time
"Thanks. Been using Biotene for years. Don't have any sores in my mouth, instead my whole mouth is sore. I'm going to need that good luck, lol"
Aug 21
Bobbiejo Winfrey replied to Suzanne Giacherio's discussion Painful mouth tissues - not just thrush this time
"I have also been told to use salt water rinses when I was dealing with some sore mouth tissue many years ago. I struggle constantly now with a dry mouth, most likely due to my medications and the difficulty I have in tolerating large…"
Aug 21

quick links!

follow transplant cafe:

Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to TransplantCafe

Meet Members by Transplant Type

Heart Kidney
Liver Single Lung
Double Lung Pancreas
Intestinal Bone Marrow
Tissue Kidney / Pancreas
Other Transplant

Badge