Do you believe you take on some characteristics from your donor after you receive an organ?

I remember watching a Montel Williams show episode a few years ago on this topic. A lot of what they said seemed far out, but the people there were believable. They described things where they didn't like a certain food before and now loved it and turns out their donor did too. Or, they now liked a certain type of music, etc...

So, I would probably not have posted anything about this topic myself, but then today, I read this article: Click Here. It is an entertaining read.

If you care to comment and without being too specific or mentioning names to stay sensitive to donor families and living donors.. talk about your thoughts or experiences with this. Or your opinion about the article.

Tags: character, spirituality

Views: 475

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's strange yes, since receiving my heart 23 years ago I have gradually developed a huge taste for German foods, I have started learning the language and I am a MASSIVE fan of Rammstein and Eisbrecher (German Heavy Metal bands).

I go to see Rammstein live in February 2010 -CANNOT WAIT!!!!!
Oh i belive it. I had a kidney/ liver transplant in 99' when I was fifteen. pre transplant I not only did not like eggs I had a allergy to them. now i love them and am not allergic any more. Also before my hair was straight as a board now it's frizzy and poofy
I also have noticed similar changes in my hair. While I have always had some natural curl, I have noticed the frizzy part. Humidity seems to do a real number on it more so now.
Several years ago gave me a book, in Spanish the titule is a " Baile de corazones " that in English is something like " Dance of Hearts ", in a book written by a ballerina tx of heart, she reports many studies that I realize to confirm her, supcición brings over of if one inherits something from her donor, there is interesting the study, speech of the cellular memory that possesses every fabric of our bodies and that really is possible that us something is penetrated of the donor, as tastes that before you did not have, already be for to food or objects, etc., I am OK to seeking for the book pa to see the details for if someone they are interested her reading.

Claire Sylvia, who wrote " Dance of hearts ", a work in the one that gathers her own experience as transplanted of heart and lungs. According to this American ballerina, soon after the intervention ,she started feeling her donor of an intense way. Itshe was dreaming of him and even he knew his name in spite of the fact that nobody had revealed it.

Marcelita, I don't know if you are aware of this but Claire Sylvia passed away several months ago
Hello Jim, it did not have the minor idea, lamentably, now I will preserve her book with major reason. The book came to my hands years ago and to read it was of great help, to know myself.

Fondness and my excuses for reading now.

"Estoy segura que ahora danza como una mariposa"
Please find this link to the woman that you talk about I just watched a tv program with her in it http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/obituaries/articles/2009/08/20/cl... I think this is who's book you read.
My transplant was 6 years ago. When I was finally asked to eat after surgery I requested a cheeseburger and a piece of chocolate cake. I was one before who never ever ate cheeseburgers nor sweets like cake. Later on I had cravings for gummy bears. Once again never ate or wanted to eat a gummy anything. After talking with the parents about their sixteen year old daughter , my donor I found out that cheeseburgers , chocolate cake and gummy bears were her favorite foods. They also told me how on all birthdays she would bake a chocolate cake. So now on my birthday as I celebrate life I have a slice of chocolate cake for Shawna and I.
I used to love my coffee but since my Lung TX almost 3 years ago, I haven't had a single cup...Just the smell makes me nauseous :*(
I've allways had rain-water-straight hair, now it has a bit of a curl that my poor hairdresser is learning to tame LOL
I am addicted to playing with Photo Shop Pro..using digital images from people like Suzanne Woolcott, The Allen Girls and Popeye Wong.
I have found i have developed a very spiritual side
All these things are strange to me but I fully embrace the "new" side to me.
Positive thoughts, blessings, love, light, peace and karma to all
Hugz
Stevieanne

Pre tx (heart) I couldn't stomach tacos; watermelon & yogurt sent me straight to the bathroom, to hurl! Taste; texture & smell, with all of them was horrendous. Now, I eat them whenever I can. As for the food I grew up with, Cal/Mex; Chinese; Italian & lots of meat, with the exception of a very few things, most of the food either doesnt taste good or smells funny! However, I've developed a keen interest in experimental cooking! Couldn't watch anything except Food Network, after I got home. My donors family has recieved my thank you letters & updates on how their "son" is doing, but they've never answered & I have so many questions. All I know is that he was an expert skier (that terrifies me!) & extremely healthy. I have also developed an interest in the gym. I have no doubts that' in some strange way we two are now one-comingled. Does that sound strange? A lifelong Catholic, even before I officially converted, I've discovered a curiousity about other religions! Really strange. Sure wish they'd at least write, if only so I could tell them I'm doing my best for their son. Paula
I'm new to the Cafe' - found this site tonight, actually, as I was searching online for this very topic. I have found that since my transplant (kidney/panc.) 5 1/2 years ago, I love pepperoni pizza, ice cream sandwiches, and peanut m&m's. Pre-transplant I had an issue with pizza - had gotten sick after eating it about 20 years ago - didn't really like ice cream and was NOT a chocolate fan.
I do believe that many things are transferred with transplant. I have also found that I have had many different emotions - I thought that I would feel euphoric with the new things in my life, but have felt very hopeless and despondent since then. I am very spiritual, but could not seem to break out of the funk that had followed me - until the last couple of weeks. I have consulted a medium (don't freak out, please) and have been told that I have her spirit with me - my donor. Was told that she had been with me off and on over the years and was here so that I would know that it was okay, I can let go of my sadness over her death, and that she was here for me. I know this sounds totally out there, but since this happened my home has become peaceful. I no longer hear thumping during the night, no longer wake up knowing that there is someone there....she has crossed over and I am finally feeling peaceful. People in my life have commented on how "different" I look - brighter, glowing even....odd?? YES! You'll probably ban me from this site after reading this!! Or totally ignore my presence...but is there anyone out here who has had these types of experiences? This was not something I expected...was very afraid when these things started happening recently....can anyone relate? Experiences?
SinceI 'm fey, I'm a total believer. I've had new taste s& lifestyle experiences & feelings of not being alone. I don't talk about them, except to 2 of my daughters, as they are also Fey. Our Celtic blood. As for the sadness, it's called survivors guilt & EVERYONE has it to some extent or other, even if they don't say so. Let's face it, we are ailve because someone died. That is a given, unless you had a live donor/liver or kidney. Meds always play a huge part in our behaviour. Something all docs know about but seldom discuss, at any length. Hence, the cafes usefulness, to all of us. There are more than a couple of strange stories in here, so, don't feel alone. Lets face it, we are now 2 people, not just 1. To me. what you are feeling is perfectly normal. Relax & live to the fullest the new life your donor gave you. Hugs & Blessings, Paul

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Bobbiejo Winfrey commented on Matthew J Litkie's status
"Congratulations on reaching your seventh anniversary! I hope that you can do something special to celebrate. May you have many, many more anniversaries to which to look forward. I wish you the best of health and many new blessings to brighten your…"
6 hours ago
Frank Clark was featured
17 hours ago
Frank Clark is now a member of TransplantCafe.com - The Gift of eLife!
17 hours ago
Matthew J Litkie posted photos
19 hours ago
Matthew J Litkie posted a status
"I just got a stint removed, Awhile back. It was there for 6 years to long. It took 5 trips to ER 100% better now, Thank You Lord!"
19 hours ago
Matthew J Litkie posted a status
"7 years tomorrow, Friday Aug. 29! Praise God!"
19 hours ago
cp nair replied to Velina's discussion Life expectancy after a liver transplant? in the group Liver Transplants
"Dear Velina, I did my liver transplantation (hep B) three years back, when I was 63. My wife, who has a different blood group, gave me part of her liver.May be due to the mis-matching of the blood streams, I was given heavy dose of Tacrolimus at the…"
23 hours ago
cp nair joined Gabrielle's group
Thumbnail

Liver Transplants

This is a group for all people who have had liver transplants. Feel free to say how long you have been a recipient and what medication you are on. Some doctors hope to have their patients off all medications, any thoughts?
23 hours ago
David Goodman commented on Lili Feldman's group The Funny Bone
"Or, you could wash your hair in the sink..."
Wednesday
Dorothy Okoth is now a member of TransplantCafe.com - The Gift of eLife!
Monday
Caring 4 Carrie posted a blog post

What Can You Eat If You Have Diabetes?

According to WebMD, if you're Diabetic, the goal is to monitor your carbs daily. A person with Diabetes can have snacks if their blood sugar gets low between meals. Also, desserts can be eaten but save for special occasions and have a scoop or thin slice. Sweet tooth? -consider having a piece of fruitSee More
Monday
Caring 4 Carrie posted a status
"Someone's Story: This is baby Derek. He's on dialysis & parents are seeking a living donor. Please visit FB page: http://j.mp/1tuQCn6"
Monday
Lili Feldman commented on Lili Feldman's group The Funny Bone
"Finally! Some advice You can actually use! DO NOT wash your hair in the shower! It's so good to finally get a health warning that is useful! IT INVOLVES THE SHAMPOO WHEN IT RUNS DOWN YOUR BODY WHEN YOU SHOWER WITH IT. WARNING TO US ALL! (I…"
Sunday
Leanne Dodd-Mathis left a comment for Leanne Dodd-Mathis
"I put a picture of the invasive Air Potato Plant as my current passion/addiction is removing it from my condo community. I'll add more info and a picture soon."
Aug 23
Leanne Dodd-Mathis is now a member of TransplantCafe.com - The Gift of eLife!
Aug 22
Dawn Chick replied to Suzanne Giacherio's discussion Painful mouth tissues - not just thrush this time
"Also try artificial saliva to moisten. You can get it over the counter and use it as often as you need to lubricate the tissue in your mouth. "
Aug 21

quick links!

follow transplant cafe:

Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to TransplantCafe

Meet Members by Transplant Type

Heart Kidney
Liver Single Lung
Double Lung Pancreas
Intestinal Bone Marrow
Tissue Kidney / Pancreas
Other Transplant

Badge