I am really interested in how long a transplanted kidney will last. I have read various articles about this, but don't have many real life stories to go on. I did read an article about one man whose transplanted kidney from a live donor lasted 22 years and was still going when the article was written.. My son received his kidney & pancreas from a cadaver donor and his kidney began failing at 6-1/2 years, but the pancreas is still working fine. He is awaiting a new kidney from a live donor who is being tested.
I have read that cadaver organs generally last 7 to 15 years. And another member here who has a kidney from a live donor has had his kidney for 17 years.
So would others be interested in posting here to say how long your kidney or other organ has lasted and whether it is from a living donor or a cadaver donor.
Many thanks for all who share information, which really gives us all a better perspective and hope.

Views: 17443

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, My first kidney lasted 22 years from a living donor (my oldest brother). My second transplant has lasted 2 years so far from my other brother. I have met a few people who have had there kidney's for over 30 years. Brian.
Diana--

As I'm sure you know, no one can tell you how long any transplanted organ will last. It varies tremendously with time, circumstance, health of the donor, overall health of the recipient, antigen match, immune suppression regimen, and many other factors.

However, the ESRD networks collect data on all recipients who are covered under the Medicare program. Data on individual patients are not publicly available (as itshould not be) due to patient confidentiality regulations and statutes. I can say that although I haven't worked for the program in 10 years, at that time we had a very few patients in our ESRD Network database who had functioning kidneys after 28-29 years. We had quite a few (out of thousands) who had kidneys in the 15-20 year range.

That is particularly amazing when you consider that when those recipients were transplanted the medical system really only had prednisone as an immune suppression therapy. Virtually all of those recipients (who would have been transplanted in the late 1960s through mid-1970s) had cadaveric donors.

With today's transplant medications, it seems very possible that a recipient could do very well for more than 15 years if he or she is on the right immunosuppresive regimen, takes very good care of themselves, and doesn't take up bullfighting for a hobby.

I'm on 18+ years and counting on a simultaneous kidney/pancreas transplant.

Brian
Hi Diana, Robin here. I am working on 17 years with this kidney. What a ride it has been. The first transplant was from my father but they thought the match was so good that would not put me on cyclosporin. That was a mistake...I lost it in 12 days. This one was from a cadaver donor. I feel great. I hope one day to be a statistic in how long a transplanted kidney can last. All the best. Robin
Hi Robin and to both you Brians,
Thanks for sharing your stories; it is very helpful to hear about other transplant results and about the things that went wrong or right. I certainly do understand that every person and transplant situaiton is different, but your stories give hope to those who need the encouragement to get through some tough times, and encouragement to look forward to a better future.
I am so glad to hear how well all of you are doing!
Againk, thanks for sharing.
My son's live donor has only one more test to be completed before they set the surgery date at UC San Francisco Medical Center where he received his first kidney (and pancreas) in 1998. He has been on hemodialysis for 3-1/2 years since the kidney failed.
Diana
Hi Diana....I have had my kidney for 36 1/2 years. The Quarter Century Club, which is represented on this forum, has over 55 members who have had their transplant for over 25 years, most of us over 30 years. We have talked to many more qualifying members who haven't signed up yet. I don't think we have been included in any data collection, otherwise more people would be aware of our successes. When I attended the transplant games in Pittsburgh this summer, we signed on a new member from Utah who just celebrated 44 years with his kidney. Brian is correct about the variables in transplant success, and it is amazing that we had only prednisone/Imuran therapy....... but it sure has worked for all of us. By the way, I received my kidney from my dad. I think that our club is about half and half with living/non-living donors. We were very restricted with our living donor options at that time.....mother, father, sibling...that was it. The thought of a non-related living donor was like science fiction. Although what we have achieved with our longevity in our group is a very small percentage of the transplant community, it is still important to know that it can happen. Best wishes to all of you, and may your gift keep on giving.
Hi Barb,
That is so wonderful to hear. I had no idea there was a group on this website for a quarter century club! And I certainly agree "best wishes to all of you, and may your gift keep on giving". Thank you also for sharing.
Sincerely,
Diana

What a wonderful post! Thank you so much! It is immensely encouraging to everyone to learn about the Quarter Century Club and those of you who have exceeded 30 yrs!  Being an older person already, I compare my body to an old car now when parts need repairs. My latest diagnosis was some glaucoma in my right eye - I laughed when I was told all I had to do was use stinging eyedrops twice a day.  Piece of cake!!  Being alive is such a gift and after each of us having experienced such  intense challenges in our pasts, for me, at least, it's easy to take the rest of the road bumps in stride :)

Hello,
Personally, I've never looked into how long any transplanted organ will last. However, my first kidney transplant lasted five years before it rejected. On December, 13 of 1984 I received my second kidney transplant (both were from deceased donors) and this one (knock on wood) has worked fine since. I just celebrated my kidneys 24th Anniversary, and looking forward to as many more years as possible.
Thank you so much for sharing. I guess every situation is different and every person is different; and you can never know for sure how long a transplant will last. I am so glad for you that you have done so well on this second transplant! Wishing you continued good health.
Diana

You know, much of the transplant success stories we hear about now are due to the advances the transplant docs have made and the new anti-rejection protocols being tailored to each patient according to their lab results.  The only rejections that have not been resolved at my hospital in the past few yrs have been those patients who were non-compliant and did not report their symptoms until it was too late to reverse the damage. Most of those, I heard, were due to not drinking the prescribed amount of fluid daily and being lax about taking meds. My transplant team is pretty confident that if they treat it soon enough, they can restore a balky transplanted kidney to full viability.  Of course, there are other factors for some of us with additional health complications. I don't mean to generalize - we are all individuals. Years ago I was friends with a transplant recipient who told me how he got a cadaveric kidney and took so much prednisone he swelled up for the first few years, but by the time I met him, he was slim and strong and could dance all night and was no longer on the steroids.

I am 16 and i recieved my kidney at the age of six, march of 99. my mom gave me her kidney, and has almost been ten year s. Little to no complications (knock on wood)
Hi. I have had two kidney transplants. The first lasted a little over 19 years and the second one is almost 5.5 years out and stll going strong. A friend of mine is nearing 27 years out. A lot depends on the person, and I believe attitude has a lot to do with it as well.

The main thing is just take life a day at a time cause in reality none of us, healthy or othwise are promised tomorrow. Take care and good luck!

Mike

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Karen Weddick commented on Lili Feldman's group The Funny Bone
"Love it David!  Great one!"
11 hours ago
Karen Harrill replied to Phil Keyes's discussion Post transplant blues
"Hi Phil, Before transplant I had hepatic encephalopathy which my gastroenterologists treated with medication. My reflexes were slow and my judgement was often faulty. Until the fall before my following Spring transplant these episodes were few. They…"
12 hours ago
Karen Harrill replied to Bornali's discussion In distress ..may be just need to hang on in the group Acute Liver Failure Transplants
"Hi there! I notice people are not that active on this page. I had acute liver failure, had a transplant in 2011. I take 3mg of Prograf only. I also, on the advice of my Mayo Clinic transplant surgeons take the vitamins Calcium, E and magnesium. I…"
13 hours ago
Karen Harrill added a discussion to the group Acute Liver Failure Transplants
Thumbnail

My Acute Liver Failure was the result of Hepatitis C contracted during an emergency C-section in1978!

I lived with stage 4 (end stage) liver disease for 15 years. The fall of 2010 was the beginning of a rapid decline. I received a transplant in May of 2011. As you know a transplant gives you a new life but does not cure the hepatitis C, it begins its damage of your new liver immediately. Thanks to the incredible staff of the Mayo Clinic Liver Department and new drugs Solvaldi and Olysio I have been virus free for over 5 months and hope that my 6 month blood test will be still be negative. Interferon and ribovarin would show no virus and then a month or so it would rear it's ugly head. I had no side effects from the two new drugs. These drugs are very very expensive but I was fortunate that Mayo knew where to go for help with these two drugs whose combined costs is $58,000 per month for 3 months. $174,000.
14 hours ago
Karen Harrill joined TransplantCafe.com's group
Thumbnail

Acute Liver Failure Transplants

A group for those of us who had a liver transplant due to acute / fulminate liver failure. Here we can discuss our experience with this unexpected form of organ transplant including psychologically, physically and all else that goes with it.
15 hours ago
Profile IconKaren Harrill, Parent of B and Ali Barton joined TransplantCafe.com - The Gift of eLife!
16 hours ago
Parent of B and Karen Weddick are now friends
18 hours ago
Karen Weddick left a comment for Parent of B
"Hi Parent of B: I’d like to welcome you to the Transplant Café. You are now a member of a warm, friendly, supportive, caring, understanding, sensitive and informative site. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask…"
18 hours ago
Lili Feldman commented on Lili Feldman's group The Funny Bone
"Makes sense to me. Good one David."
yesterday
Karen Weddick left a comment for Ali Barton
"WOW, what a story Ali and you have two miricles to celebrate.  You gave the gift of life to your son and a stranger gave you the gift of life so you can raise and enjoy your son Ethan."
yesterday
Ali Barton left a comment for Karen Weddick
"Hi Karen! Thanks so much for the welcome! I just updated my story – it is a crazy story, but I feel so blessed to be where I am today! I'm looking forward to connecting :-)"
yesterday
Ali Barton updated their profile
yesterday
Karen Weddick left a comment for Ali Barton
"Hi Ali: I’d like to welcome you to the Transplant Café. You are now a member of a warm, friendly, supportive, caring, understanding, sensitive and informative site. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask and…"
yesterday
Lloyd Hopes liked TransplantCafe.com's group Share Your Transplant Story
yesterday
David Goodman commented on Lili Feldman's group The Funny Bone
"At a local bar in downtown St Paul, the owner and bartender, was so sure that he was the strongest man around, that he offered a standing $1000 bet.  The bartender would squeeze a lemon until all the juice ran into a glass, and then hand the…"
yesterday
Caring 4 Carrie posted a status
"This is Mr. Ben Boyd. He's been a kidney support for our Cause. However, he was injured and seeking help. http://www.gofundme.com/e1wtg8"
Monday

quick links!

follow transplant cafe:

Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to TransplantCafe

Meet Members by Transplant Type

Heart Kidney
Liver Single Lung
Double Lung Pancreas
Intestinal Bone Marrow
Tissue Kidney / Pancreas
Other Transplant

Badge