My doc says absolutely no way! But, someone I know has a double lung transplant and got tattooed after. She says that as long as 1. you bring your own needle and 2. you make sure the paint hoses are new, you will be OK.

Anyone else here have tattoos that they got after their transplant that can provide advice?

Nelson

Tags: discussion, forum, general, tattoos, transplants

Views: 3952

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

After about twenty years post transplant(second one) I went under the needles, so to speak. My first tattoo,was a winged kidney; which I designed myself. After I had my second tattoo I finally showed it to the doctors and nurses when I was at a clinic visit. Nothing was said. I'm had my third and I'm in the process of designing my fourth.
So, did you just do the tattoo without any special precautions on the artist having new hoses or needles, etc.?
Hello,
Before I decided on the artist I made sure that he would be using all new materials. When he was finished with the tattoo he destroyed all the needles he used while doing my tattoo.
I thought about getting one for years before I found an artist that I was comfortable with. I even explained that I was an organ transplant recipient. I don't think he took extra precautions because of that, its just the way that he operates, quickly and cleanly.
I will say that when I revealed the tattoo at clinic the nurses were more impressed than the doctor.
Yes, I spoke with the artist long before my first tattoo, so he knew all of my concerns. He opened the needles in front of me, used new hoses, and kept everything as clean as possible. After he was done the first, and all subsequent tattoos he destroyed all used needles in front of me.
I've never had any problems with any of my tattoos, before or after. The trouble is, once you get one you want another.
My fourth tattoo is now posted. I think it shows my sense of humor.
Yeah,
My doc would take my liver back i think. He didn't even want me to gargle mouth wash after my liver transplant.

I love that guy though... Doctor Imagawa @ UCI's the man!
the alcohol in the mouth wash. (.000001% I think.)
Nelson, sounds like you have a pretty strict doctor there. My docs want me to enjoy and live a normal life. They do not encourage tatoos but I would not get scolded or lectured if I got one.
I think he's concerned about possible transmission of hepatitis through the hoses and needles used for tattooing.

n
recently, i spoke to the guy that did my tattoos before tx and asked him if he had ever worked on people who've had tx. and what his procedures would be. interesting enough he was very knowledgeable on what to do with an immune deficient and asked me direct questions regrading certain meds i may be on to how my body heals now (since i was younger when i got my tattoos). from my observation (and past experience) i noticed he kept his work station clean and sterile as well as his equipment.

one of my tx doc is conservative and gave me an absolute "no" but another of my tx docs, who's been working all over the world and recently came onto the cedars team told me that as long as i took the necessary precautions...go for it..it's my body...my life.
i have three tattoo's
that i got after my transplant
talked with the artist ahead of time
i felt ok about things
so
i have three great looking tattoos!
I don't have any tatts but I recently saw on the internet that some ppl have gotten a tattoo in place of wearing a medic-alert necklace or bracelet.
Hello,
I've also heard of people getting a medic alert tattoo but, have not seen one yet. I attended the Transplant Games with Team Iowa; one of our members got the Team Iowa 'Little Green Man' on his arm.
Before I left for the games I went in for my fourth tattoo, its the recycle symbol with the words Contains Recycled Organs over it. I showed my new tattoo to a few people at the games including some transplant coordinators from Florida.

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Maggie Velez liked Karen Weddick's profile
7 hours ago
Maggie Velez liked Karen Weddick's profile
7 hours ago
Terry Clark left a comment for Karen Weddick
"Thanks for the warm welcome! I did ad a photo...I can see it...in case you cannot, lets try this. Thanks and be blessed, Terry"
12 hours ago
Ramona commented on Gabrielle's group Liver Transplants
"My husband is also coming up on his 5th Liverversary....for his second transplant.  His first one lasted 23 years!  Good health to all of you!  :)"
13 hours ago
Carlos commented on Gabrielle's group Liver Transplants
"I second Bobbiejo's sentiments. It is a happy thing to see so many who have walked the uncertain path to health via transplantation. "
13 hours ago
Bobbiejo Winfrey commented on Gabrielle's group Liver Transplants
"David, how marvelous! Congratulations on reaching this milestone. It is always encouraging to hear others succeeding. May you only have many, many more liversaries to celebrate in the future!"
16 hours ago
Jan Ward commented on Gabrielle's group Liver Transplants
"David! That's great! I'm due for my 5th liversary in January...it's always great being able to follow you into the future. Congratulations. Jan"
21 hours ago
Lili Feldman commented on Gabrielle's group Liver Transplants
"Congrats David on your 5th liversary! Peeps"
yesterday
David Goodman commented on Anna Linck's group Boston Transplants
"Five years ago, I received a liver transplant at MGH. All of the people there were wonderful. Now, I go back once a year and have labs every 3 months at my local hospital. If not for MGH and my pcp, I'd have been dead long ago."
yesterday
David Goodman commented on Gabrielle's group Liver Transplants
"Five years ago today I received a liver transplant. After a couple of minor hiccups, all is well."
yesterday
David Goodman commented on Lili Feldman's group The Funny Bone
"A bigTexan stopped at a localrestaurant following a dayroaming around in Spain...   While sipping his wine, henoticed a sizzling, scrumptiouslooking platter being served atthe next table.  Not only did itlook good, the smell…"
yesterday
Beth left a comment for Karen Weddick
"Hi Karen, thanks for your message. I am on here trying to reach out to a young woman I met years ago while working at a camp together for kids with ostomies. She has remained in my thoughts. I am not sure how her health has been. I see she last…"
yesterday
Beth left a comment for Jessica Conrad
"Hello, Jessica? I am trying to reach out....we met years ago at a UOAA camp. Was hoping we could reconnect.   "
yesterday
Terry Clark shared a profile on Google +1
yesterday
Terry Clark is now a member of TransplantCafe.com - The Gift of eLife!
yesterday
Caring 4 Carrie posted a status
"Kidney Event: Join Us! Our event promotes Kidney Awareness. http://j.mp/1nMvilW"
Monday

quick links!

follow transplant cafe:

Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to TransplantCafe

Meet Members by Transplant Type

Heart Kidney
Liver Single Lung
Double Lung Pancreas
Intestinal Bone Marrow
Tissue Kidney / Pancreas
Other Transplant

Badge